During the sixth annual Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Statewide Tour of Manufacturing, 105 manufacturing businesses opened their doors to students, families, and the general public. Participants were able to see the inner workings of manufacturing factory, meet the people who work there, gain insight into the skills, education and training necessary for a career in manufacturing and learn more about the economic impact of manufacturing.
Highlights of the 2016 tour include:
- Transportation scholarships for student tours, supported by Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association and 360 Manufacturing Center of Excellence.
- Dream It. Do It. Minnesota safety glasses, provided by W.P. & R.S. Mars Company and cinch bags provided by Productivity Inc., to 2,100 students and 51 educators, along with information about career opportunities in manufacturing and a way to stay engaged with manufacturing through the Build It Better! game app.
- Educators received the Teacher Guide to help student tour attendees understand modern manufacturing.
- Promotional toolkits were provided to all tour hosts as a download through the website.
- Radio spots, press releases and newspaper highlights were broadcast throughout the state.
Tour attendees were surveyed, and post-tour:
- 76% were interested in manufacturing careers.
- 88% were more aware of manufacturing careers.
- 85% were more interested in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Manufacturers also found it to be a valuable activity, with:
- 85% thought hosting a tour was worthwhile.
- 88% had success with tour attendees.
- 85% found value in using the tour as a way to build interest in manufacturing careers.
Craig Pfannenstein, Marketing Specialist at Park Industries shared about the company’s experience: “We had a full, busy day of interested children, students, parents, job seekers, and central Minnesotans come through the tour and learn all about our manufacturing of stone working machines. Over 500 attendees took the tour, seeing CNC machinery, welding, paint booths, assembly, and speaking with Park associates about manufacturing opportunities. We heard awesome feedback from attendees that took the tour on how informative it was, and how shocked they were that all of this is taking place in Central Minnesota.”
Each year, the Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Statewide Tour is held in aligning with two state and national events, Manufacturing Day and Minnesota Manufacturing Week. These activities are designed to celebrate modern manufacturing and inspire the next generation to pursue STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) careers in manufacturing careers.
Thank you to the Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Statewide Tour platinum sponsors, 360 Manufacturing Center of Excellence, Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association, Midwest Manufacturers’ Association, Productivity Inc., ProStaff and Ware Technology Services, and the gold sponsor, W.P. & R.S. Mars Company.
We are looking forward to the 2017 Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Statewide Tour of Manufacturing in October. Watch for further details at tourofmanufacturingmn.com, or contact Jaimee Meyer at 218-755-2206 or JMeyer@bemidjistate.edu for more information.
About Dream It Do It Minnesota
Dream It. Do It. Minnesota, led by 360 Manufacturing Center of Excellence, collaborates with industry to promote careers in manufacturing in Minnesota. Dream It. Do It. Minnesota is supported by Midwest Manufacturers’ Association, Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association, and Tri-State Manufacturers’ Association. To learn more, visit dreamitdoitmn.com.