During the fifth Dream It. Do It. Minnesota Statewide Tour of Manufacturing, 132 manufacturing businesses opened their doors to students, families, and the general public. Participants were able to see the inner workings of a factory, meet the people who work there, gain insight into the skills, education and training necessary for a career in manufacturing, and learn more about the economic impact of manufacturing. An estimated 11,088 individuals attended a tour.
Tour participants were surveyed after taking a tour. After taking a tour, attendees had gained more knowledge of modern manufacturing:
- 83% were interested in manufacturing careers
- 90% were more aware of manufacturing careers
- 80% thought manufacturing careers were “good” careers
Hosts also found value in tours:
- 90% thought hosting a tour was worthwhile
- 90% thought they had successful engagement of tour attendees
Highlights of the 2015 tour include:
- Transportation scholarships for student tours, supported by 360 Center of Excellence, Midwest Manufacturers’ Association, Tri-State Manufacturers’ Association, Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association, The Manufacturing Institute, Toyota USA Foundation, and Pro Staff and Ware Technologies.
- Dream It. Do It. Minnesota safety glasses or water bottles were supplied to each student along with more information about Minnesota manufacturing and career opportunities in manufacturing.
- Career information on Welding, Machining and Mechatronics were provided to manufacturers to hand out to guests at their tour.
- Promotional toolkits were provided by download to all tour hosts via the website.
- Radio spots, press releases and newspaper highlights were broadcast throughout the state.
One of the teachers whose school received funding from Dream It. Do It. Minnesota to take tours shared, “the students [had] opportunities to explore jobs beyond what they see around them or what their parents do on a daily basis. … the kids left inspired to weld or learn computer aided drawing or work there for money while they assisted in paying for college in the area of manufacturing and/or sales. …The kids [learned] about different types of welding and how much training is needed to be in specific areas. Our students greatly benefited from these experiences!”
Each year, the Dream It. Do It. Statewide Tour is held in October in conjunction with state and national events such as manufacturing day, manufacturing week, and manufacturing month. These activities are designed to celebrate manufacturing and inspire the next generation to pursue STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) and manufacturing careers.
We thank our platinum sponsors: Midwest Manufacturers’ Association and Tri-State Manufacturers’ Association, Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association and Pro Staff and Ware Technologies, and our gold sponsor, Mars Company Supply. We also thank The Manufacturing Institute and Toyota USA Foundation for their support through a grant.
In 2016, the Statewide Tour will again align with Minnesota Manufacturing Week during October 2- 8. Watch for further details at tourofmanufacturingmn.com, or contact Shane Fjerstad at 218-755-2948 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Dream It Do It Minnesota
Dream It. Do It. Minnesota, led by 360 Manufacturing Center of Excellence, collaborates with industry to promote careers in manufacturing in Minnesota. Dream It. Do It. Minnesota is also supported by Midwest Manufacturers’ Association, Minnesota Precision Manufacturing Association, and Tri-State Manufacturers’ Association. To learn more about this program, visit dreamitdoitmn.com.